Re: deb packages not offered: lame xcdplay?

drudd@email.arizona.edu writes:

> On this note, does anyone want to weigh
> in on how well alien works for converting RPM's?

Well, the one package I tried alien on (galeon) worked fine.  One thing you
should watch out for, though, is that RedHat has certain files in different
locations than Debian (notably the initialization files, like /etc/init.d/*),
so converting those packages may not work.

On a related note, a lot of source tarballs contain a .spec file to create an
rpm, but no debian directory.  Is there some way to convert the .spec file to a
debian directory, so that I can make a debian package?  I bet it would be a lot
easier than trying to build the rpm and then converting to deb using alien.

Hubert.