Re: finding a tarball on a fat-less fat partition--disk editor? (fwd)

> > yikes, I can do without the gory details :)  does this mean that once I
> > find a block of a tar, I can start extracting, even if it wasn't the
> > middle?

> you mean "even if it wasn't the START?", right?
> the answer is yes. just verified this.

yes.  Thanks.

> > And now that I think of it, someone mentioned that there are bad disk
> > editors available for linux.

> i said, they suck, not that they are bad. this means, that they are not
> that simple to use as diskedit for dos and lack the one or other
> interesting feature - at least the last time i looked out half a year ago.
> ;-)

For one-use once, i'll put up with almost anything.  I assumee I only
need to browse a couple of k, anyway.  But what are they called?
grepping /var/lib/dpkg/available for disk.*edit doesn't yield anything.

> > I just realized that I can't use the same
> > method I sed on an ext2 on a fat (unless it grew inodes while I wasn't
> > looking :)
> ??

there's a how-to that explains brute-force inode searches on ext2
partitions.  I recovered some important files from another  machine this
way a few weeks ago.

thanks

rick