Re: finding a tarball on a fat-less fat partition--disk editor? (fwd)

> yikes, I can do without the gory details :)  does this mean that once I
> find a block of a tar, I can start extracting, even if it wasn't the
> middle?

you mean "even if it wasn't the START?", right?
the answer is yes. just verified this.

> And now that I think of it, someone mentioned that there are bad disk
> editors available for linux.
i said, they suck, not that they are bad. this means, that they are not
that simple to use as diskedit for dos and lack the one or other
interesting feature - at least the last time i looked out half a year ago.
;-)

> I just realized that I can't use the same
> method I sed on an ext2 on a fat (unless it grew inodes while I wasn't
> looking :)
??

> Or should I just start using "dd if=/dev/hda7 skip=1| tar -tvf -" and
> incrementing the skip until I hit something (I think these two files
> would be the only ones ever to be created on that partition).
not the fastest method, but it should work so far ...

good luck!

Real programmers don't comment their code.
It was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
--
Become part of the world's biggest computer cluster -
join http://www.distributed.net/