Re: can anyone explain why ??

Simeon Simes wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 03:10:04PM -0700, Nate Amsden wrote:
> > Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> >
> > > so i guess, the driver is not the best in this regard - or is it an inherent
> > > problem of atapi drives?
> >
> > its a problem of atapi drives mostly, if you have DMA turned on that can
> > reduce cpu utilization some .. in the past it was not uncommon for an
> > IDE drive to suck up 100% of the CPU when accessing w/o DMA..
> >
> > just tested cdparanoia on my system (all SCSI) rippin a cd from my 4x8x
> > cdr takes between 3.5%-5.9% cpu(p3-800EB).
>
> well on my celeron 450 all IDE system the user hovers around 10% and system is
> around 10%. so Its not taking all the CPU. I seems that taking in input fromt
> he CD drive limits other inputs to the system, in this case the ppp connection.
> I mean I can push the cpu utilization up by just encoding a wav to mp3
> and the ppp connection is fine. So would it be something in the way I/O
> is being handled?

quite possible, another user noted(not sure if it was this thread or
another) by sending data to cdparanoia in smaller packets with short
delays between them he was able to get it working fine. what kind of
modem do you have and what I/O and IRQ is it located at? also what kind
of IDE hd, what kind of controller etc..

i can't remember a time when i used an ide cdrom to rip CDDA at the same
time as being online with a modem in the same machine, but i have done
just that with my scsi CDROM with my internal Zoom V90 modem. never had
a problem. i have seen this complaint in the list at least 1 or 2 other
times tho so there may be a connection. maybe its a WDC hd ?

nate

--
:::
ICQ: 75132336