Re: can anyone explain why ??

> > When I'm ripping a CD with cdparanoia my dialup ppp connection doesn't work.  I don't seem to be able to transfer at all.  The link stays up but no or very little
> >  data  seems to be able to flow.  But if I stop cdparanoia everthing is fine.
> > This is on a debian woody system running 2.2.17 kernel
>
> I really don't know, but it's maybe an overload of the
> processor/disk. Look at the load average of your system when running
> cdparanoia (you can use top or uptime).

nope. cdparanoia gets 30% cpu on a pentium 133 with a 24x cdrom. the disk is
nearly idle (iirc). the remarkable point is, that it causes about 10-20%
system cpu time.
so i guess, the driver is not the best in this regard - or is it an inherent
problem of atapi drives?

regards

Real programmers don't comment their code.
It was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
--
Become part of the world's biggest computer cluster -
join http://www.distributed.net/