Re: Checking md5sums

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 08:18:39AM -0300, Mario Olimpio de Menezes wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Michael S. Fischer wrote:
>
> > Can someone please tell me how to use the Debian packaging tools to
> > scan a system for changed files based on the md5sums contained in the
> > .debs?
>
> I've used a simple for bash, like this:
>
> for F in `ls /var/lib/dpkg/info/*md5sums`; do md5sum -c $F; done

debsums is a simpler then that ;-)

[eb@socrates eb]$ debsums yaboot
usr/sbin/ybin  OK
usr/sbin/ofpath OK
usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot OK
usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot OK
[...]

or omit the package name and it verifies all packages. (that have
md5sums)

> this work for all packages that have a md5sums file in info directory.

this is a problem since lots don't

> BTW, is there a official repository for md5sum files? I asking because
> if I get cracked, how can I trust the md5sum files from my machine?

if you get cracked you cant trust anything even md5sum or the kernel
or anything.

> I think it would be good if debian site has a page/link so that we can
> dnld all md5sum files from a trusted source and check against our files.

what i think would be cool is if dpkg had a tripwire function built
in, so when you install new packages or upgrade at the end you could
enter a GPG passphrase and have the md5s signed.  (not foolproof i
know but no less then tripwire or aide) even better use something like
sha1 or ripmd160 (something like that).  OpenBSD ports come with all 3
hashs.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/