Re: Recommended Partitioning

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 08:32:48PM -0400, Rob wrote:
> Hey, im about to install deb2.2, can anyone recommend a specific
> partitioning scheme?

I would do the following:

/boot   /dev/hda1 - primary  10 MB
win2k   /dev/hda2 - primary 1.5 GB

/       2.0 GB (for growth)
/var    1.0 GB (or 2.0) for debian packages + spare space (you can make it smaller)
/usr/local  1.0 GB (depends on how many custom packages/.tar.gz you expect to install)
symlink /opt to /usr/local
/swap 128 MB

/home and the win2k data partition, share whatever you have left (i.e 50% to win2k and 50% to debian, or whatever).

> Also, im dual booting next to win2k(dont flame my, I have to do 3d
> rendering), will I need to make a special boot partition for LILO? I've
> heard something about /mbr which I dont understand.

I think there is an HOWTO for it. WinNT+Linux HOWTO I think. Check your
lists of HOWTO (I think it's one of the mini HOWTOs).

--
email: john@fjellstad.org                   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

#####          I'm subscribed to this list, no need to cc:          ######