Re: Staroffice on Debian Potato

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 10:27:09AM -0400, David Teague wrote:
> Hi Rino
>
> RIGHT. My coauthor and I have had pure hell because the latest
> Mac MS Word doesn't translate Word from Office 97 .doc files with
> tracked changes correctly.
>
> With MS it is not just non-interoperabilty with other operating
> systems, they don't even work well with themselves.

Well I'll pipe in with a nice solution: LaTeX + CVS
	LaTeX files are plain text -- always will be readable.
	CVS -- manage versions nicely (RCS will work too).
		use the -kb flag for images.

After trying to use Word97 with version control on a large document that
had lots of embedded images, I quickly found it to be unusable.  After
just 7 revisions of a 150 page document, the file had grown from ~7Mb to
over 100Mb. Granted, I could of used linked images. Not to mention that
Word consistent fsck'ed cross references, styles, etc. and has lousy
support for generating bibliographies or indices.  Definitely not my
first choice for anything longer than a few pages.  TeX/LaTeX is also
available on Windows and Mac (I think).

--
/bin/sh ~/.signature:
Command not found