Re: preparing to install debian

Bob Edwards wrote:

> Good morning!
>
> I ordered a three CD set of debian cds and am preparing to install
> debian. I have some specific questions:
>
> (1) how do i configure debian for dsl ?

Never done it; don't have a clue.

> (2) What do I have to do to get debian to recognize all three of my hard
> drives ?

Depends on if they're IDE or SCSI, etc. Probably you don't have anything
"odd", so they'll automatically be recognized as /dev/hda, /dev/hdb, and
/dev/hdc (1st, 2nd, and 3rd drives on the IDE chain).

> (3) what do I have to do to be able to dual boot to either debian (yea)
> or windows 98 (boo!!) ?

Several different methods. The easiest for a beginner is to simply make
a boot floppy during the install and don't make Debian bootable from the
hard disk; then just boot off the floppy when you want to boot into
Debian. Later after you've Read The Appropriate Manuals (RTAM, usually
known as RTFM - search the web for "Dual-boot howto" or something
similar).

> (4) what is this "potato" that I keep reading about?

See http://www.debian.org/releases/
The various versions of Debian GNU/Linux have "codenames". They are:
2.0 - Hamm
2.1 - Slink
2.2 - Potato (which is the current "stable" version)
?.? - Woody (which is the next version, now known as "unstable")