X,Netscape,Mozilla - x locking hard

Looking for solutions to X locking hard.

While using Netscape 4.75, usually when scrolling, X lock and I can only reset
the computer. I occasionally happens when selecting a link. Mozilla M17 also
will lock X hard while scrolling, however lately it has been more likely to
just crash leaving X running fine. I no longer use GnuCash because X also locks
hard while using it.

I run Debian "Woody" however this problem has been around for me since "Potato"
first went frozen and I starting using that.

Video card is a Voodoo3 2000 it that helps.

Any thoughts?

Kevin C. Smith