Re: superformat?

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 05:01:28PM -0500, Pat Mahoney wrote:

> Is ext2 really fine for floppies?  Doesn't information about ownership get
> stored onto the floppy, and then when you transfer it do a different system,
> the files will be owned by non-existant users...  Or am I way off here?

yes ext2fs floppies work like any other media with an ext2fs, so
ownership and permissions work as on the hard disk.  ext2 most other
unix filesystems stores a numeric UID and GID, these corrospond to the
users and groups in /etc/passwd and /etc/group.  so yes if you make
files on the floppy owned by a user with UID 1000 and take it to a
redhat system (which annoyingly starts users at uid 500) the files
will show up `unowned'

but it really does not matter much on a floppy, since if the person
can mount it they probably have root privileges anyway and the
security won't matter.

on the other hand using ext2fs protects your data from win*/dos/mac
users ;-) (well they can erase it but won't be able to read it)

> Maybe the user who mounts the disk owns, say /floppy and can do whatever
> because of that...

nope, regardless of who mounts it and how the ownership and
permissions are read from the filesystem, just like a hard disk.

BTW: your Mail-Followup-To is broken.  user `pat' does not exist here.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/