Re: superformat?

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 12:10:49AM -0400, William T Wilson wrote:
> On 14 Sep 2000, John Hasler wrote:
>
> > > floppy. Just seems a little wierd seeing DOS as the default on a Linux
> > > manpage...
> >
> > FAT16 is a pretty good format for floppies (that's what it was designed
> > for).  Ext2 isn't.
>
> ext2 does fine with floppies, it has a little more overhead than DOS, but
> it also has proper filenames.  The problem is that hardly anybody uses
> ext2 as a floppy format, everyone uses DOS, so that is the default :} Most
> Linux systems have networking, whereas many DOS systems do not; if a
> network is available, why use a floppy?

Is ext2 really fine for floppies?  Doesn't information about ownership get
stored onto the floppy, and then when you transfer it do a different system,
the files will be owned by non-existant users...  Or am I way off here?

Maybe the user who mounts the disk owns, say /floppy and can do whatever
because of that...