Re: Debian Gnome vs. Helix Gnome

There are those who would have you believe that Michael Soulier wrote:
> Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 17:48:01 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Michael Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>
> To: Debian Users List <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> Subject: RE: Debian Gnome vs. Helix Gnome
>
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
>
> > gnome in debian came from gnome.org, not helixcode.
>
> 	Yes, my terminology was incorrect, but the question stands. If
> gnome is running the gnome project, but helix is extending it, what's the
> current status between them? Does helix have commercial interests that I
> should avoid? I find the information on their homepage a little scarce.
>
> 	Mike

They hope to eventually make money off of services:

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/236/business/A_user_friendly_face_lift_for_Linux+.shtml

Plus, you have to trust them in that the sources that they put up are
the ones that they use to build the binaries.  I do, but there are
some people who insist on compiling everything themselves.