Re: pppd dies immediately in kppp

Glyn Millington wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 03:08:48PM +0000, thus spake Thomas Halahan:
> >
> > I cannot get kppp to work.  After the handshake with my ISP, I can see it
> > connect, but the pppd daemon dies immediately.  I can connect with the 'pon'
> > command.
> >
> > I get the following error with kppp:
> >
> > pppd: The remote system is required to authenticate itself
> > pppd: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.
> > pppd: (None of the available passwords would let it use an IP address.)

 Back in the days I was using RedHat and used kppp to try to connect I got the
same exact behavior. I was not the only one. The only thing, we did not get the
authentication required bs. Our ISPs dod not require PAP or CHAP. You will need
to make sure your ISP does either or not. Then you may want to try and run ppp
from the command line with some time honored scripts ppp-on, ppp-off. The
O'Reilly book on Network Administration does a good job of explaining.

Our conclusion then, was that kppp sucked. Maybe it still does.

Paul