pppd dies immediately in kppp

I cannot get kppp to work.  After the handshake with my ISP, I can see it
connect, but the pppd daemon dies immediately.  I can connect with the 'pon'
command.

I get the following error with kppp:

pppd: The remote system is required to authenticate itself
pppd: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.
pppd: (None of the available passwords would let it use an IP address.)

Tom Halahan