Re: kernel 2.4.0

modconf will not work at all so if you rely on it to select boot-time
modules, you are going to have to edit the modules files by hand. Note
that modprope works fine ... just the Debian modconf script can not handle
the structure of the new /lib/modules/`uname -r` directory in 2.4

Otherwise ...

chester:~$ uname -a
Linux chester 2.4.0-test8 #1 SMP Sun Sep 10 16:06:26 PDT 2000 i686 unknown

works as good as the test kernels work here.