Re: DNS -- caching server inside firewall?

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at  3:22PM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> I would like to configure my home OpenBSD firewall to reference my
> workstation for DNS queries.  The workstation is a Debian GNU/Linux box,
> configured (I think) as a caching-only DNS server.

I've got an identical configuration (openbsd firewall using my debian
box on the internal net for DNS lookups). I don't remember the debian
default config for bind, but look for (or add) a "listen-on" section to
the options block in /etc/bind/named.conf.

My options statement from that file looks like:

options {
    directory "/var/cache/bind";

    // If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
    // to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
    // directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
    // questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 and later use an unprivileged
    // port by default.

    query-source address * port 53;

    // lots of DNS servers for redundancy
    forwarders {
        24.88.1.67;
        24.88.1.66;
        130.207.244.251;
        128.61.15.251;
        130.207.244.244;
        128.61.15.244;
    };

    listen-on {
        192.168.10/24;
        192.168.11/24;
        127.0.0.1;
    };
};

the 192.168 nets are internal networks that the debian box serves dns
for.

Jason