Re: advanced power management and linux?

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Krzys Majewski wrote:
> > Tip 3: there are kits available which will control the speed of the PSU fan
> > by means of an NTC. I bought them for US$10 in the local electronics shop
> > and they work fine. Alternatively a resistor in the circuit of the fan
> > might work too for fixed speed reduction.
>
> This sounds interesting. What's an NTC? Looking around the web

NTC = Negative Temperature Coefficient (thermistor)

A thermistor is a resistor whose value drops when the temperature rises
(or vice versa), therebye allowing more current flow to the fan and
speeding it up when the thermistor is hot (or slowing it down when
cool).

<...>
> Maybe you can recommend a vendor of the above-mentioned kits
> (or whatever silencing solution you currently use). Ideally
> one which will ship to Canada, although I have some friends in
> Holland who could forward the goods if need be.

If you can get the specs of the device (resistance at 25C, wattage) you
can probably pick one up at RadioShack, or an electronics wholesaler
that has counter sales (Future Electronics is in major centers all
across Canada, IIRC), it would be a simple matter to splice it inline
with the power leads to the fan - just make sure you don't get a PTC
device :).  Although a kit would probably be best if you are not
comfortable with a soldering iron and cabling.

later,

	Bruce