Printing w/Epson SC800

I feel like a total mental case. I have potato up and running fine, but
even though I've read a pile of f'ing manuals I can't get my epson sc800
printer to listen when debian talks!

I have installed apsfilter, lprng, and aladdin-ghostscript as
recommended in the PRINTING-HOWTO, but for some unknown reason my brain
has failed me in its ability to figure out what I have to to to get
everything working in sync.

The embarassing part is this is not the first go round with linux or
debian and I am sure that I'm overlooking something blatantly obvious
and simple. :(

Anybody willing to lend some intelligence to an antique geek with bad
memory banks?

TIA

John