From: Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: hostname/netname
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 17:06:11 -0500

i'm trying to figure out where i should put which
components of my debian node name and my dns zone
name...

zone: dontUthink.com
cpu: server

if i have 'server' alone in /etc/hostname
there seem to be places that don't know i'm
in the dontUthink.com zone.

if i have the whole server.dontUthink.com mentioned
in /etc/hostname then how can software figure out
i'm just a part of dontUthink.com?

or, where are the proper places to put the values
that come out as \n and \o in /etc/issue displays
before login?
	# cat /etc/issue
	\n.\o \l \t
	# man hostname
	[snip]
	Hostname is used to either set or display the current host
	or domain name of the system.  This name is used  by  many
	[snip]
host OR domain name. great help, there. aaugh!

related query:

debian is my home intranet router/gateway/firewall.
what kind of naming scheme is standard for an internal
192.168.*.* net? and where do the settings for this, go?