Re: Debian VS. Red Hat

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 02:42:50AM +0800, csj@mindgate.net wrote:
> "unlike rpm which you need to compile rpm to access a .rpm."
>
> I think not. I managed to open an .rpm using the Gnome file manager in a
> debian-based installation. An .rpm appears to be a cpio archive. Correct me,
> folks, if this is misinformation.

i just tried to extract an rpm with cpio, it failed miserably.  rpm
may be BASED on cpio file format but that is not what it is anymore.

as for gnome i would not be surprised if it used /usr/bin/rpm to do
the extraction.  in fact:

dlocate -s gmc:
[...]
Suggests: gpm, rpm, gedit, eeyes
[...]

hmm wonder why it would suggest rpm?  perhaps becuase it uses rpm to
access .rpm files?

> Besides, you can always "alien"-ate an .rpm

dlocate -s alien:
[...]
Depends: debhelper (>= 0.88), perl5 | perl (>= 5.004), rpm (>= 2.4.4-2), dpkg-dev, make, cpio
[...]

there it is again, seems alien just runs /usr/bin/rpm to access the
.rpm file.  in fact i recall Joey saying this is how it works in the
past.

from the alien man page:

       For converting from and to .rpm format the Red Hat Package
       Manager must be installed (See rpm (8) ).

i stand by my statement, it is NOT misinformation.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/