Re: Debian VS. Red Hat

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 11:02:45AM -0500, William Jensen wrote:
> > Maybe the software in the distributions is about the same, but the
> > distros themselves sure aren't.

Right.

> Support.  OH yes support. The first time I set up RH (first linux ever) I
> naturally had some problems and questions.  I bought the retail version so
> I had access to tech support from RH.  The first mail I sent them was a "how
> do you see colors in the directories when you do a ls" type of mail.  The
> reply came 13 days later and said (paraphrase) "I am so and so and I will
> be your grade 3 support technician.  What you asked about is already set
> up and is part of the standard distribution, if it isn't working for you
> then you changed something in your configuration and we are not responsible
> for that."  And that was it.  And there was NO color with ls.

I had a very similar experience with SuSE: first I had a jolly hard time
getting through their automatic mail supporter to someone "human".

Once there, the supporter told me that the question went beyond their
scope of support. :-!
I don't remember the exact Q I had, but it surely was something newbie-ish.

Anyway, on this list, I'd have gotten a real useful reply in no time.

Regards
Sven
--
The best way to escape from a problem is to solve it.