RE: Debian VS. Red Hat

Maybe the software in the distributions is about the same, but the
distros themselves sure aren't.

A distro as I understand it is the effort to integrate linux software
in a way that there seems to be a consistent OS.

Some differences are, therefore:

* installer
* package management
* file system policies
	This won't be an issue as soon as the FHS is widely adhered to.
	In the meantime, I really love it when my files are where I
	would expect them.
* configuration
	Most config tools are specific to or at least developed by
	a distro company.
	Also: where is "the network" configured, how is init handled?
* incuded software, and version thereof
* support

Note that this does not make any distro better than any other
in an objective way, but definitly discernable. There is merit
in searching for the product one's most comfortable with.

All, of course, my humblest of opinions.

[...]

> And, btw, if you want convince somebody of your position, it helps to
> have an open mind. Considering them illiterate sheep doesn't help
> your situation. If they don't feel that you respect them, they
> won't respect you. It's hard to convince someone on your position
> when they don't respect you.

While you're certainly right on principle, "illiterate sheep" just fits
a certain kind of (office) computer users perfectly, don't you think?

Regards

Christian

/me casts Protection From Fire