Re: Source directory

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 01:49:02PM +0200, Juli-Manel Merino Vidal wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Which is the proper place to uncompress and compile source code that
> will be installed on /usr/local without any deb? It's /usr/src or
> /usr/local/src?
>
> For example, any program that I download from internet in .tar.gz file
> where should be uncompressed to follow debian policy (one of the two
> directories said above)?

I am not sure what the debian policy exactly says about sources.
I am using a user "build" who owns /usr/local/src to configure/compile sources.

> Just an example, the linux kernel... I have never used the debian
> packages and I have always used a .tar.gz. But where should I place
> it? Will it work under /usr/local/src?

My kernel sources are in /usr/local/src and I use "build" for them, too.
/usr/src belongs to root except for the modules dir hierarchy which is owned by build.
with kernel-package I also make a kernel-headers debian package which installs to /usr/src/kernel-header...... /usr/src/linux points to the headers of the running kernel (in /usr/src/, so I can "mess up" my kernel-sources while keeping the correct header files)

-ff

--
     Florian Friesdorf <42ff@gmx.net>
OpenPGP key available on public key servers

------> Save the future of Open Source <------
-> Online-Petition against Software Patents <-
------> http://petition.eurolinux.org <-------