Re: Source directory

Juli-Manel Merino Vidal <jmmv@mail.com> writes:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Which is the proper place to uncompress and compile source code that
> will be installed on /usr/local without any deb? It's /usr/src or
> /usr/local/src?

Your home directory.  Configure, compile and check as yourself and
install as root.

> For example, any program that I download from internet in .tar.gz file
> where should be uncompressed to follow debian policy (one of the two
> directories said above)?

Put the tarballs in /usr/local/src if you want them to be generally
available; in your home directory if not.  Uncompressing and building
shouldn't really be done in /usr/local/src IMO.

> Just an example, the linux kernel... I have never used the debian
> packages and I have always used a .tar.gz. But where should I place
> it? Will it work under /usr/local/src?

The kernel-source package installs a tarball in /usr/src.  I wouldn't
mess with /usr/src myself and stick with /usr/local/src instead.

--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development