Re: hard drive errors..

Marc-Adrian Napoli wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> on our / partition whenever anyone tries to ssh in we get:
>
> Sep 11 10:45:39 kaos kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete Error }
> Sep 11 10:45:39 kaos kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40
> { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=34431, sector=343
> 68
> Sep 11 10:45:39 kaos kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:01 (hda), sector
> 34368
>
> the same happens for telnet through inetd.
>
> I commented telnetd out of inetd.conf and installed tcpserver and ran:
>
> /usr/local/bin/tcpserver 0 23 /usr/sbin/in.telnetd&
>
> and the telnet works.
>
> anyone seen this problem before? any suggestions before i replace our
> /dev/hda ?

There are a ton of replies to these kinds of drive errors in the
archives.  It is strange it only happens when using one program.  I
would guess it will start to manifest itself in other areas.  Some
people have posted fixes that worked for them.  Others like myself ended
up buying new drives in the end.  I would at least make sure you have a
backup of the drive.
Good Luck.
kent

"Neurosis is the way of avoiding non-being by avoiding being."
- Paul Tillich, American theologian (1886-1965).