nuking old man pages?

Anyone else have this problem where old manpages refuse to die
and provide confusing outdated information? I just had this
with "hdparm" and "mount". In the first case, there was an old
manpage in /usr/man/ which took precedence over the new one
in /usr/share/man. In the second case, there was a
/usr/man/man8/mount.8 from 1996(!) which took precedence over
a more recent /usr/man/man8/mount.8.gz.  I did write a script
a while back which goes through the manpage hierarchy looking
for duplicates, but not sure if this is the way to do it..

-chris