Re: Gnome/X stuff

On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 01:02:30AM -0400, Rubbish5@aol.com (Rubbish5@aol.com) wrote:
> Hey,
>     Sorry about the block of text.  Last night I had all sorts of this
> and that to stay awake, since I need to finish the Odyssey for school
> before it starts.  Anyway, I didn'y get to sleep until 6:00ish, so I'm
> still a little out of it.

Nada.  Now if you'll wrap lines at 72 and reply to list, we'll be
famous.

>     For starting Gnome I'm just using 'startx' because I've worked
> gnome and my window manager into the Xsession file.  What I have is
> something like:
>
>     gmc &
>     <path for window manager> &
>     panel
>     exit
>
>     That's not exactly right, the exit line I can't remember right
> now, but I did it out of a book so it should be fine.

Actually, you don't need the exit, though it won't hurt.  You'll execute
'panel', then exit when it closes.

> So that's how I've been starting Gnome though.  And I pulled the panel
> command out when I was using icewm.
>
>     As for when I said session manager, I meant to say session save.
> Basically the whole bit that let's you start back up to your desktop
> just as you logged out of it.

Right.  I don't do Gnome (actually, just started messing with it for the
first time in months tonight).

>     As for the menu package, that's what I was missing, thanks for
> that.  The sawfish package I did search for just as you said, but it
> didn't turn up, so I guess Linux Central didn't put it on the set.  Is
> it new?  I hadn't heard about it until this morning when someone said
> it worked well with Gnome without overlapping features.

sawfish was recently renamed from sawmill.  You might try looking at it
from there.

>     I did look at /etc/init.d/README, but it pointed me toward getting
> the debian-policy package and reading section 3.3 on run levels.  I
> found a lot of info there, but it was so broad that I really had
> trouble getting what I needed to know.  When you're setting programs
> to run or not at boot (specifically X), is it a matter a moving files
> around or more of a command line option type thing?

Here's the short answer:

    - Various runlevels are specified in /etc/inittab.  This tells you
      what level your system starts at (initdefault).

    - The directories /etc/rc?.d contain scripts starting S[0-9]* and
      K[0-9]*, which are symlinks to files in /etc/init.d/.  The 'S'
      scripts are started, the K scripts are stopped, when entering a
      runlevel.

   - You can modify these scripts with the /usr/sbin/update-rc.d script.

> I found easily the files associated with X in init.d and various
> run-level folders, I just don't know what to do with them.  I'm new at
> Linux, and I know I should really just shut up and read more, which I
> have been doing, though I'm going to boarding school tomorrow and I'm
> really trying to get everything up as quickly as possible.

If you want to run the services, leave them be.  If you don't want to,
remove the packages for now.  You may find that you want to look at
configuring them various ways later, it's probably too much detail for
you now.