Re: kernel update?

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 04:09:36PM -0700, Dale Morris wrote:
> I just did an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade and apt downloaded the
> kernel2.2.17 sources. I've been running 2.2.16 because I had some
> trouble with the 2.2.17 kpkg that I set up.
>
> Question is, did apt configure 2.2.17 kernel to be the one that executes when
> I reboot? If so will it have configured my modules and settings correctly?

No.  Apt wouldn't do that.  Hard enough to figure out what that would be for
any given system, and apt isn't brilliant enough to realize that you might
want to change a few things.  It's Good, but not That good.  :-)

You should find the 2.2.17 tarball in the /usr/src directory.  "tar xzf" it
and reset /ysr/src/linux to point to the new directory.

If you have your old .config file in the 2.2.16 source directory (saved
perhaps under some other name?) it can be read into the new sources and changes
made as desired (at least under "make menuconfig"... it's been too long since I've used anything
else).

Kenward