Re: kernel update?

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 04:09:36PM -0700, Dale Morris wrote:
> I just did an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade and apt downloaded the
> kernel2.2.17 sources. I've been running 2.2.16 because I had some
> trouble with the 2.2.17 kpkg that I set up.
>
> Question is, did apt configure 2.2.17 kernel to be the one that executes when I reboot? If so will it have configured my modules and settings correctly?  --

If you downloaded the kernel source, you still need to compile and
install the kernel before you can use it.  Install kernel-package, then
configure with 'make config', 'make menuconfig' or make xconfig'.
After that use make-kpkg to compile your kernel and create a debian
package which you then need to install with dpkg.

See usr/doc/kernel-package/README.gz for details.

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.oz.net/~nielsen