Re: c++ compiler problem

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 12:58:54PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> I get the following error when I try to compile a short c++ program:
>
> -----------
> c++ allvehic.cpp -o voertuig
> cpp: -lang-c++: linker input file unused since linking not done
> c++: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1plus': No such file or
> directory
> -----------------
> and the following error when I run configure on wxGTK-sources
> -----------------
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... yes
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
> checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
> checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
> checking for c++... c++
> checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler
> cannot create executables.
> ----------------------
> $locate cc1plus:
> ------------------
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.2/cc1plus
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/egcs-2.90.29/cc1plus
> ----------------------
> I could compile a kernel not so long ago and do not know what has gone
> wrong.

The kernel is written in C, not C++, so that's irrelevant.

> I hope somebody can help me on this one.

Somehow your gcc installation has gotten messed up.  Perhaps you
compiled gcc on your own and installed it in /usr/local/bin?  If so, you
might want to try

$ PATH=/usr/bin:$PATH ./configure # or other command which needs g++

to get the default c++ compiler.  If that doesn't help, the only thing I
could think of is to re-install gcc.

Good luck,
Chris