Re: Debian on Dell?

On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 06:11:21PM -0500, Jay Ford wrote:

> Can anybody verify that Debian runs on a Dell Precision 420?

Debian runs on about everything ;)

> It has an integrated dual-channel (Ultra 160 & Ultra Wide) SCSI controller.
> Does Debian support it?

Which vendor?

> There are several video cards to choose from:
> 	Diamond Viper V770D, 32 MB
> 	Elsa Synergy Force
> 	nVIDIA GeForce 2 GTS, 32MB DDR
> 	Matrox G400 Max, 32 MB (dual monitor capable)
> 	Gloria II Pro, AGP Pro 4x, 64 MB
> Does Debian support any or all of them?  I intend to do rather basic X stuff
> on Linux & common PC-ish stuff on NT/Win2000.  Any recommendation on which
> video cards to prefer or avoid?

What do you want to do with it? AFAIK the Matrox is not the first
choice for playing 3D-games but great for 2D-performane (large
resolutions, great signal-quality).

> More fundamentally, is there a better Dell system to use for Linux &
> NT/Win2000 in a home sort of context?

It just depends on what you want to do with the system. I prefer
building my system myself so I can pick the best components for my
needs.

Phil