slightly OT: short in video?

I have an old 486 that I keep around for toying with (runs Debian
GNU/Linux). For the past year (or so) it has had a "wobbly" picture on
the screen. Recently (last few months) the picture cuts out for a split
second. My guess is a short in the video. I'm pretty sure it's not the
monitor or cable (have used it on other systems fine). Anyway the cut
out is becoming more frequent. I would imagine I only have a few more
moths until it goes completely.

If this is the problem, what would be the best way of fix it? FYI the
video is integrated on the motherboard, so simply replacing it won't
work. :( Or is the sucker toast?

TIA,
Ron
--