audio for root, not user

Hello All,
I have a question.
One one debian box I have sound working properly. On another It is not.
I type in the same command to load the modules, but different modules
appear to be loaded if I do a lsmod.

On the machine that is not working properly:
After I load the sound modules and try to play a file through xmms I get a
message that says please check that your soundcard is configured properly
or that no other program is blocking your soundcard (with a normal user).

But if I log into X as root and run xmms it will play the sound.

I have added the normal user to the audio group just as I did on my box
that is working.

The modules that load on the working box are:

Module                  Size  Used by
cs4232                  2628   0
uart401                 6116   0  [cs4232]
ad1848                 15844   0  [cs4232]

On the box that will only play sound as root:

Module                  Size  Used by
cs4232                  2496   0
uart401                 5880   0  [cs4232]
ad1848                 15596   0  [cs4232]
sound                  55780   0  [cs4232 uart401 ad1848]
soundcore               2496   5  [sound]

If anyone can help me with this problem I would be grateful.

Thanks and have a nice day!

D Ghost