Re: Seyon with incoming calls

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 03:39:05PM +0100, Barry Samuels wrote:

> I already have mgetty installed, together with Hylafax, and I understand that mgetty will
> pass on non-fax calls but how does it know where to pass those calls to ( e.g. Seyon) ?

Good. I've never used Hylafax, as I have the impression that it is
overkill on a small home system, but YMMV.

Make sure that you also have mgetty-doc installed, since mgetty has
quite extensive documentation: a lot of stuff in /usr/doc/mgetty as well as
info pages. Start with /usr/doc/mgetty/README.Debian (as always).

> The remote system is a friend who is a complete computer Dumbo but who can, just about, work
> a windows comms package to dial my machine at which point I want to initiate a file
> transfer.  Why do I want to do it this way round?  He pays for the call!

Out of the box, mgetty will give incoming calles a login prompt and allow
logging in to shell. If the files have consistent names, you could script
the login and transfer from inside the windows comms program, or teach your
friend about sz, rz and logout. If all you are doing is initiating downloads
from your system and you know in advance what the filename is, you might put
something in this users .profile like 'sz -b file.zip ; logout' to
automatically initiate the download and then logout.

HTH

dt

--
Dave Thayer