Re: vim + printing = wretched output

> Bill
>
> Vim supports several options to munge tabs in various ways.  One is
> "expandtab", which will replace each TAB character with the number of
> spaces defined by "tabstop".  But this replaces the TAB, which may not
> be what some people want.
>
> See also "softtabstop", which will "simulate" a tabstop setting without
> actually changing tabstop itself, using a combination of spaces and tabs
> to generate the indentation.  For instance, if "set softtabstop=4" is
> used (with tabstop=8), the first indent is 4 spaces, the second a tab,
> the third a tab and 4 spaces, etc.
<snip>

Bob,

The softtabstop is exactly what I needed.  I reset the tabstop to 8, set the
softtabstop to 3 and edited a test file.  When I less or more it it looks the
same as it does when I'm editing the file.  Thanks a ton for that hint.  Even
though it took me another hour or so to re-edit my file and fix those tabs it
is well worth it because I just love vim.  Again, thanks.

Bill