SU problems

Hello, everyone:

Recently I installed ver 2.2 of debian on a new machine for netsaint
monitoring.  Previously, I had experience only with Redhat distros.

Everything was going ok until i decided to give webmin
(http://www.webmin.com) a try.  It installed ok, but when I created the
group netsaint using the webmin interface, the su stopped working... (at
least, that's what I think caused it).

I can login without problems, but if I try to su - root or su - <anyuser>,
it gives me an authentication failure.

When I log as root and su to another user, it works ok (since its set by
default to be able to su without password).

I checked the shadow file and it seems to be alright.  I erased the netsaint
user/group and still nothing.

Can anybody shed some light in this subject?

Regards

Rafael