Re: what are these?

For the files xaa to xam, something you downloaded was split into pieces
for more reliable downloading.  Common practice when the original is
really big and the download is over a modem, so you can download pieces
at different times, or re-download a broken part rather than the whole.

They can be pasted back together by:  cat x?? > file

though I think this has probably already happened.  I don't know where
xxml.el fits in.

You said the files are "apparently binary".  Have you used the "file"
command on them?  If not, try it on the first file, xaa, and the last,
xxml.el and it might tell you more.  The extension ".el" looks familiar
but I cannot dig up the details, maybe someone else can help there.