Re: Editing and storing encrypted files

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 11:17:40PM +0200, Philipp Schulte wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 10:22:44PM +0200, Wouter Hanegraaff wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have some files that I would like to store encrypted. Of course I can
> > just type them in, encrypt them using gpg and delete the original, but
> > that seems to be a bit of a kludge. It would mean the file is at some
> > time readable unencrypted (after saving in the editor), and forgetting
> > to turn off the backup file option in the editor when changing the file.
>
> I solved this problem with a little script:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> gpg .dev.gpg > /dev/null
> emacs .dev
> rm .dev.gpg
> gpg -r "Philipp Schulte" -e .dev
> rm .dev
> rm .dev~

a nicer way of doing this would be to write a defun in emacs

my-load-file

so - it loads a file into a buffer - if the file has certain
traits that encrypted files do (ie: GPG headers) pipe it
through gpg file (mailcrypt does this nicely).

and also write

my-save-file

which does the opposite - and maybe we keep track of what files have to be
encrypted.

C-x C-f calls my-load-file
C-x C-s calls my-save-file

of course emacs needs to be patches to only put its temp files in
an encrypted loopback and we index them so we know where they
are related.

peter 'darkewolf' crystal
--
email   : darke@debian.org || darke@indigo.net.au || darkewolf@cyberpunks.org
url     : http://cyberpunks.org/darke/homepage.phtml

Programming , Webdesign, AI theory, Paranoia, System Administration,
Network Design, Problem Solutions

  A disciple of another sect once came  to Drescher as he was eating his
morning meal. "I would like to give you this personality test", said the
outsider, "because I want you to be happy." Drescher took the paper that
was offered him and put it into the toaster, saying: "I wish the toaster
to be happy, too."