Editing and storing encrypted files

Hi,

I have some files that I would like to store encrypted. Of course I can
just type them in, encrypt them using gpg and delete the original, but
that seems to be a bit of a kludge. It would mean the file is at some
time readable unencrypted (after saving in the editor), and forgetting
to turn off the backup file option in the editor when changing the file.

There must be better solutions, but I can't seem to find them. What I
would like to have is an editor that has built-in encryption or gpg
integration, and the option not to store any non-encrypted data on disk
or on the clipboard.

Is something like this available?

Wouter