Re: Help setting up my scanner??

Daly Gutierrez wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have an HP Scanjet 5p (SCSI) scanner hooked up to my Buslogic 958
> (Mylex) SCSI card.  The Hardware-HOW-TO states that both devices are
> Linux compatible... and they appear to be, to some extent.  I have
> installed the SANE package and its documentation also says that the HP
> Scanjet 5p is supported.
>
> During boot-up, Linux properly detects my Buslogic SCSI card and the two
> devices connected to it:  my 2.1 GB SCSI hard drive and my scanner!  For
> that reason, I believe that SCSI support has been pre-compiled in the
> kernel (I may be wrong).  Anyway, when I type "scanimage -L" to list the
> devices, there are NO devices shown.  I've also tried "find-scanner" and
> I get a message like needing generic SCSI support.  Do I not have this
> already?
>
> Any help would be appreciated !!
>
> -- Daly

IIRC the default config files that you get with sane/xsane/xsane-gimp
all
assume that your scanner device is /dev/scanner

Create a /dev/scanner symlink to the appropriate /dev/sg - my Epson
GT-5500 has SCSI ID 3 and is detected at boot time as sg2 so my
/dev/scanner points to /dev/sg2.

I've also created a group named scanner and set dev/sg2 ownership and
group to this, and then added the users as members of this group so they
have permission to use it.

HTH

LeeE
--