VMWare troubles

I'm trying to get vmware 2.0.2 build 621 running on my Woody system and I've
been unsuccessful so far. vmware-config compiles the vmmon, vmnet and
vmppuser modules just fine and lsmod says they're loaded, but when I try
to power on a virtual machine my system hangs. I've done this with
kernels 2.2.15 and 2.2.17, both of which I've tried in the
precompiled, packaged debian versions and ones compiled from the
pristine source. Neither one works. I've tried both versions with module
version symbols and without (recompiling the vmware modules each time),
and I still can't power on a virtual machine without making my system
hang. Has anyone else had this problem?