Re: installation problems

> > On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 08:24:01AM -0400, Anderson, James H [IT] wrote:
> > > 2) My /var file system is out of space, mostly filled up with apt stuff.
> > I'd
> > > like to delete only those packages that have been successfully installed
> > > since there are a number of things I still want to install, e.g..,
> > > Enlightenment, etc. How???
> >
> > "apt-get clean" will clean _all_ the .debs from /var/cache/apt/archives.
> > If you only want to clean out the ones not yet installed, you may need
> > some creative shell commands.  The basic steps would be:
> > a) Get a list of all installed packages (dpkg --get selections>somefile)
> > b) Get a list of all .debs residing in the archive
> > 	(ls -l /var/cache/apt/archives>someotherfile
> > c) Somehow, compare the two lists, and delete files from the archive
> > which appear in both lists.  There are many ways to do this. (I'd use
> > a perl script.)
> >
> Is it just a matter of removing them from the archives directory and nowhere
> else? If so, I'm pretty handy with perl so I ought to be able to whip
> something up pretty quickly.

AFAIK, yes.  In the past, I have simply rm'ed files from
/var/cache/apt/archives with no, noticable, detrimental effects.  Doing
so via script should be about the same.

> Thanks very much for all your help.
> jim

You're most welcome.

P.S.  It's good to keep conversations like this on the list so others
can benefit from your questions.
--
David Karlin
dkarlin@coloradomtn.edu