Re: installation problems

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 08:24:01AM -0400, Anderson, James H [IT] wrote:
> I'm still working my way thru a first installation and am having a few
> problems.
>
> 1) Using apt-get I upgraded my _working_ pcmcia (LAN) stuff. I stupidly
> didn't bother configuring during the upgrade, thinking that my config file
> was already built, so there was no point. Of course the latest pcmcia stuff
> uses a different config method entirely--now I have no network :-(. How
> configure this latest version?

There is a command option to dpkg which seems to be what you want:
dpkg --configure <package>

If that doesn't work, I suppose you could simply:
apt-get --reinstall <package>

> 2) My /var file system is out of space, mostly filled up with apt stuff. I'd
> like to delete only those packages that have been successfully installed
> since there are a number of things I still want to install, e.g..,
> Enlightenment, etc. How???

"apt-get clean" will clean _all_ the .debs from /var/cache/apt/archives.
If you only want to clean out the ones not yet installed, you may need
some creative shell commands.  The basic steps would be:
a) Get a list of all installed packages (dpkg --get selections>somefile)
b) Get a list of all .debs residing in the archive
	(ls -l /var/cache/apt/archives>someotherfile
c) Somehow, compare the two lists, and delete files from the archive
which appear in both lists.  There are many ways to do this. (I'd use
a perl script.)

There _might_ be an easier way to do this.  If so, I'd be interested
to know about it.

> 3) How do I keep X from automatically coming up when I boot? I'd much prefer
> to bring it up as neded with 'startx'.

man update-rc.d

you'll need to do something like:
update-rc.d -f xdm remove (or gdm or kdm, depending on which one is running.)
This will leave xdm (or gdm, kdm...) on the system, but not start it up
at boot time.

Or, apt-get remove xdm (or gdm or kdm or whatever).  (Probably easier)

HTH.
--
David Karlin
dkarlin@coloradomtn.edu