Re: Linux hates rodents

Hi!

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, racuti1 wrote:

> I have sucessfully installed Debian Linux, and Xwindows. My mouse however does not work. I have tried to configure it in the
> xf86config program, I have tried several types of mice/trackballs from the Logitech 3-button/scroll-wheel trackmarble to a plain two-button mouse. I have tried every choice for mice offered by xf86config but my mice won't work in Xwindows.

	Mouses can be troublesome, but they *do* work. Trust me! :-)

	Make sure you have mouse support compiled into your kernel. My
	logitech mouse is a psaux mouse - you'll need ps auxillary support
	compiled into your kernel for this to work.

	If you have GPM (console mouse manager software) installed things will
	be a bit trickier depending on your mouse, however gpm mirrors mouse
	signals on /dev/gpmdata so you can read you mouse signals from there
	if you have (and want to leave) gpm installed.

	XF86 also has an 'auto' feature where it will automatically detect your
	mouse type (I haven't used this feature as I specify it directly) - or
	you could use XF86Setup to check and change your mouse configuration
	at runtime in X.

	Otherwise, we'll need a little bit more info about your situation like
	a specific mouse, your /etc/gpm.conf if you have one, and your
	/etc/X11/XF86Config file.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
          &&&&.        Business Hours : +49 69 9757 200
    &&&&&&&:           After Hours    : +49 69 49086750