Re: sound

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 10:59:37AM -0500, Wayne Sitton wrote:

> Hey guys,  I finnally got Debian 2.2 installed and running on my laptop.
>
> My biggest problme was X,  Why can't these companies just use normal
> video chipsets?
> Anyhow, it's working!!!
>
> I have a ess solo sound card.  I installed it as a module, and it works
> fine....under root
> It will not work under my user account, so where do I need to change
> permissions, ownership, or do I need to add myself to another group?
> I read somewhere that you need to add youself to the audio
> group(dip),
> but I don't have that group on my system.  also the gnome cd player will
> also not run under my user log-in, I suspect that is because it doesn't
> have the right to mount the drive.  So what do i need to do?
> I'm not worried about user security, because I will be the only one
> useing the laptop.

Add yourself to the 'audio' group and then check permissions for
/dev/dsp, /dev/audio and /dev/mixer. They should be already set,
though.
About the cdrom add yourself to the 'disk' group and to 'cdrom'
group. That should be enought.

Tip: make a link of your device to /dev/cdrom; it is easier to access
to your cdrom later.

But when in doubt, take a look at /etc/group; you will find a lot of
preset groups that you can use then with your user. Usually all files
that pertain to that group have proper permissions, so you won't need
to do anything special.

About the cdroms, they are in iso9660 format, so you can do:
  mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /cdrom
to mount it (replace /dev/hdd and /cdrom with proper
values). Optionally you can setup /etc/fstab with the following line:
  /dev/cdrom        /cdrom  iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto 0 0
So you can issue "mount /cdrom" and it will be properly mounted. With
the "user" option you tell that ANY user can mount it.

Hope it helps.
Bye!