Funny login comment...

Hi, just after I managed to get my cable modem working under linux I
noticed some funny things started happening to my computer.  For example,
when I login it gives me the message:
"PAM_unix[390]: (login) session opened for user root by LOGIN(uid=0)"

and then after the login message it says:
"login[390]: ROOT LOGIN on `tty1'"

Also, syslogd takes a long time to start upon startup, would this have
anything to do with it?

Also, I only want dhclient to get one IP address, not one for both
ethernet cards in the computer.  How would I stop it from doing this?
My /etc/network/interfaces file looks like this:

iface eth0 inet static

iface eth1 inet dhcp

Thanks for your help,