Re: Problems rebooting after compiling a new kernel

Hi,

>>"Rajesh" == Rajesh Saxena <bluehaze@sympatico.ca> writes:

 Rajesh> (Then I moved /lib/modules/2.2.17 to /lib/modules/2.2.17.old)

	Please note that this location shall not be used by either
 your old kernel, nor you new one. May I humbly suggest
 kernel-package, and specifically point you to the FLavours.gz
 documentation therein?

 Rajesh> (Then I moved /boot/System.map and /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17 likewise)
 >> cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/map
 >> cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage

	Your modules and system.map files are saved, but are not live;
 your old kernel, regardless of its current name, shall still look for
 its modules and map file in the original location.

 Rajesh> (I changed the symlinks /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old to reflect the changes
 Rajesh> in /boot)

	Well, you should not be surprised if the latter does not work.

 Rajesh> I edited /etc/lilo.conf to add a new block for /boot/bzImage)
 >> /sbin/lilo

 Rajesh> No lilo errors popped up so I rebooted and once it came time for the new
 Rajesh> boot process I got this error..
 Rajesh> VFS: Cannot open root device 16:01
 Rajesh> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 16:01

	Umm. You are compiling the IDE hard disk suport as a module. And
 you have no SCSI support at all.

# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m

        So your IDE Hard drive is compiled as a module. But the module
 can't be accessed until we can read the hard drive.

 Rajesh> To try to fix things I tried to reboot with the boot floppy I
 Rajesh> made when I initially installed Debian but I get a *lot* of
 Rajesh> module dependencies problems(I'm assuming because of
 Rajesh> /lib/modules/2.2.17.old )but one which just won't go away and
 Rajesh> blocks the login process is

	Well, your old kernel, on the floppy, can't find any of its
 modules, since /lib/modules/2.2.17 now contains a new set of
 modules.

 Rajesh> Can someone please point out what I did wrong and how I can
 Rajesh> correct it. If it's not reparable then what steps do I need
 Rajesh> to take once I reinstall and before I reboot with the new
 Rajesh> kernel. Thanks in advance.

	If you have the Debian rescue floppy, just boot into that,
 switch to virtual console 2 (Alt-F2), and mount your root device
 under /mnt. Go in, and move the /mnt/lib/modules/2.2.17 to
 2.2.17.new, and likewise with System.map (I would not touch the
 actual images). Exit, remove the rescue disk, and boot back to the
 old image (which should no longer have module problems).

	I wish you luck.

--
 They [preachers] dread the advance of science as witches do the
 approach of daylight and scowl on the fatal harbinger announcing the