Re: gphoto--/dev/ttyS?

Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 08:01:38 -0600
From: cls-colo spgs <pplaw@pcisys.net>
To: debs <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: gphoto--/dev/ttyS?

debs,

in trying to config gphoto, i get, " the user doesn't
have read or write access to the selected serial
device.  please check the permissions..."

i know that my modem is on /dev/ttyS2, to which i have
access as a non-root user; so, the "permissions" for
that shouldn't be a problem.  the permissions for
/dev/ttyS0, S1, & S3 are the same as my modem (on
/dev/ttyS2).

$ ls -l  /dev/ttyS*

crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 Sep  2 19:23
/dev/ttyS0
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  65 Aug 19 09:28
/dev/ttyS1
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  66 Sep  3 19:47
/dev/ttyS2
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  67 Feb 22  1999
/dev/ttyS3

...suggestions on clearing up the error message?

ia, t.

bentley taylor.

//

Here's a couple things to try...

1. Assuming you have root access, run gphoto as root. Try connecting to the
camera this way. If successful, you know it's permission problems. If you can't
connect, check the conenction, port, etc. Once root can conncet to the camera,
proceed onto step 2.

2. To keep a secure system, as root type "adduser <username> dialout" (don't
simply chmod 666 "/dev/ttyS2"). This will allow <username> to access the serial
ports. Now, <username> must log out and back in to actually activate the new
group permissions! At this point you should be able to access the serial port.

It worked for me:) Let me know if you still have problems.

Scott