lesser man database..

So, I get a call from a coworker before who asks me if I can find some
userland Linux utilities to port to FreeBSD for a RAID controller.

In the interim, I give him an account on a Linux server of mine and he
starts barking because he types 'whatis raid' and gets nothing. 'whatis
ami' and nothing. He jokes that he can type 'whatis kernel' and get
nothing, and he gets nothing appropriate.

He says if you go to FreeBSD and typed any of those, you would get lists
of manpages that contain documentation on all of these controllers and
cards and how to write drivers and so on and so forth.

I'm sure Debian has an equivalent, but I sure can't find them. It'd be
nice if they were organized like BSD has. Does Debian bundle all of this
information somewhere that I am not aware of?

I'm aware of /usr/doc, but having them organized in a grand man hierarchy
would definitely be cool.

 Michael Bacarella( mbac@nyct.net )          | (212) 293-2620
 Administration / Development / Support      | http://nyct.net/
 [ N e w  Y o r k  C o n n e c t . N E T ]   | info@nyct.net
 Bringing New York The Internet Service It Deserves!